Friday, December 18, 2009

Anyone know a nice mixture of aromatherapy oils to use in labour?

Thank you for asking this question! I am very interested too because I am going to attempt at a waterbirth! The best of luck to you and your little one.Anyone know a nice mixture of aromatherapy oils to use in labour?
Lavender is very soothing and calming - I would stay away from Patchouli, or anything spicy. Calandula might be nice. However, you may not want to smell anything while in labor.


Sometimes, women become nauseated or extra-sensitive to smells, noises, lights, etc... during labor. You might want to try different oils out before ever going into labor and then take some with you - use them if they aren't bothering you. It would have been the last thing on my mind, actually.





Hope I could help! Best Wishes!Anyone know a nice mixture of aromatherapy oils to use in labour?
Soothing and healing properties to choose from:





Geranium, rosemary, lavender and chamomile have pain relieving and relaxant effects.


Lavender is very balancing and calming. It is also very good for headaches.


Geranium supports circulation and breathing, and boasts antidepressant effects.


Neroli is a very good anti-depressant, but it also helps with anxiety, fear and apprehension.


Rose is considered a very feminine oil and is used as a uterine tonic which supports labor.


Jasmine is uplifting and yet balancing.


Bergamot is calming and relaxing.


Ylang Ylang is a strong scent - be certain that you find it pleasing ahead of time. I happen to love it, but may not have during labor. If you do enjoy this scent, it is a good choice for helping to lower blood pressure. It can be soothing and relaxing





I am all about holistic medicines and all of these scents make wonderful relaxing smells. But everyone's nose (especially a pregnant one) is diffrent. Try experimenting with diffrent combinations until you find what works best for you.
In my opinion, a lavender and chamomile combination would be a great calming scent. Also perhaps bergamont as it is uplifting and a mood enhancer, which I would imagine would come in handy.





I used to work for Aveda, and if you have a store or salon close to you, they have premixed aromas that might be worth a try as you don't have to purchase each essential oil, and they will target the appropriate effect you are looking for.





Let me know if that works as I'll have to put that on my hospital rider.
tea tree and lavender the tea tree also kills bacteria i used them and found them relaxing and refreshing

No comments:

Post a Comment