Tuesday, December 22, 2009

CPAP users: Is it safe to add aromatherapy oils (lavender) to help you sleep?

I know that you're only supposed to use distilled water in the unit, but I'm just curious...


What about Vick's Vapo Steam? This was never an issue before I got my CPAP, I just used a humidifier...CPAP users: Is it safe to add aromatherapy oils (lavender) to help you sleep?
You can put some of the oil inside the mask or inside the tube. Just a small dab of it. It shouldn't hurt anything. If you put it in the humidifier it may be harder to clean but a small amount shouldn't hurt it. I use vicks vapor rub right under my nostrils, I put it on right before I put my mask on. It keeps my nose clear all night long.CPAP users: Is it safe to add aromatherapy oils (lavender) to help you sleep?
I put a few drops of lavendar or vicks on a kleenex and place it close to (not on) the filter. This pulls the fragrance through with out endangering the machine with the actual oil. Report Abuse

Essential oils will make a mess of the plastic parts. They are solvents, cleaning with them is one thing, extended contact with the plastic is another. If you like the smell of the lavender and want to somehow get that, try using a lavnder hydrosol rather than the distilled water.
Absolutely not. Not only will you ruin your machine you will set yourself up for an inhaled pneumonia. Vicks is probably a product that could easily be pulled from the market since it just isn't a good thing to use anytime for anyone.
NO...don't do that; you'll supremely mess up your machine and your mask.
using a humidifier just puts stuff into the air, not quite the same as a cpap, which puts air into your lungs under pressure. No, it is definitely NOT safe to put any sort of fragrance in your cpap reservoir, on occasion tho, I do put a tiny bit of essential oil in my mask, but only very rarely, as the oil will degrade the mask over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment